houndsinheavenstudio

15 August 2014

Bird Paintings


Painting birds are great exercises for drawing, coloring and using decorative elements. The painting above was done by a 6-year old girl who tried to situate her bird during sunset thus the reddish background. Notice the tiara on the bird :-)

But drawing birds inside cages may look decorative except that it goes against my belief that birds should be allowed to fly freely :-) . . . In my workshop sessions I had students who wanted to paint bird cages and birds on cages. And for purposes of composition and the visual exercise it will provide I always encourage freedom of expression but not without explaining how I feel about the reality of this. Below is a painting done by a male PWD:
This may seem simple to make but the challenge of the composition may be tricky for an hour session. But it is worth it. Another reason why it is worth it to go through the exercise . . .
A painting done by a five-year-old in an hour. Priceless!