houndsinheavenstudio

03 April 2015

Ms. Moth

Part of my postcard entries for Kat Sloma's Liberate Your Art.

This is the story of Ms. Moth. She glides like this scary, itchy-looking worm around my house called Heaven. I dare not touch her because I was told that those spikes emit poison and can be lethal. And I often remind the hounds about it. But Ms. Moth minds her own business even with my constant stalking. Then, one day, she found a corner and started weaving a net around her and stayed in that cocoon for days! I kept watch. Day in and day out, I kept going back to that cocoon until people thought I went crazy watching the ceiling for hours! Until one day, at early dawn, I saw something moving from the cocoon and saw Ms. Moth emerged! I showed the images to my blog friends and someone said it is just a moth. Not some grand, colorful butterfly, but a moth. I was confused. I was not expecting anything grand or ordinary from the cocoon, but what came out was beautiful and worth all the hours of waiting. Ms. Moth is not a butterfly. Ms. Moth is a moth. What can be more special than that? 

For Samantha, Ignacio, and all the special people.
You are special just like me.
We are defined by our disability
but our disability
should not define us.