houndsinheavenstudio

10 February 2013

Painting With 300 Kids!

Logistics
Yes, this is not the first time and it will not be the last.
When I received the invitation to do a painting workshop in a private school in my community I immediately said yes. Every opportunity to do art is something that I always wanted to do. Forget that its my day off which I badly need. A hyperactive person who does multitasks needs goof off days but I set this aside. Then I was told hundred of kids. How many hundreds? Around 300. Ah okay . . .

So it was held in one of the covered courts in our village. The table set up seem small to accommodate 4 kids and their painting paraphernalia so I requested it removed and charmingly asked the teachers, parents, and children if we can all sit and paint on the floor instead?

My Work Station
I was generously given two work desks, a white board with markers, microphone and good sound system. I set up my materials and went to work. Demographics: 5% can draw and paint, 95% who can't are eager and excited to learn and take the challenge. This is enough for me to do this over and over.

The Artworks
Sidelights
Children still remember the primary colors but needs refresher on how to use and maximize these colors for their use. The teachers were asking me too which meant I must insist on doing a demo for teachers first before the kids. I was told there were 350 kids that day! The children did an interpretation of the Van Gogh's Sunflowers, a still life of fruits and critter with flower using only the available primary colors in one hour and a half! 

Tips
Be healthy (you have to be fit to do the rounds because you need to personally tutor the kids) enough to stand (and talk) for long hours and to move around, squat beside the kids, and endurance for the heat. If the kids see that you have the ability and energy to do it they will be encouraged. Be patient. Have fun and be funny. Have a huge heart for creative work and learn to appreciate individual works. Share what you learn and always have the need to learn new things.

NOTE: 
I would like to thank the people behind Golden Lampstand Grade School in Greatland for taking the initiative and making this possible most especially to Mendel and Marina Reyes. This early, the school has scheduled another session on February 16. Watch out for it!